Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Newspaper Dilemma

My job is an interesting place in the universe.  I often wonder if anyone else has the same issues that I do at my job.  I'm sure they do. I often feel that I'm in a Twilight Zone episode, or maybe this is my own Groundhog Day movie, but instead of Bill Murray as the star, it is me.  Unfortunately I'm not acting, or am I?

Every morning I come to work and the newspaper is on the floor by the front door to the office.  Apparently I am the only one that can pick it up and put it on the table in the lobby.  I am also the only one that can take the old issues to the recycling.  You might be wondering if I get into the office before everyone else.  That would make sense and not be a dilemma.  I am the last one to get to the office in the mornings.

I did a little experiment this morning.  I was carrying a lot of stuff so I went to put it at my desk before going to pick up the paper.  Then I thought that I would leave the paper there and see if anyone would grab it and bring it in, considering the bathroom and elevators are all outside of the front door.  People came and went, came and went.  Did I spy anyone bringing in the newspaper?  You guessed correctly.  No! I finally went and brought it in since we have clients coming in and I want the lobby to look good and not have us looking like a bunch of lazy duds.

You should've seen the huge pile of papers that I came back to work piled on my desk and lobby table when I got back from my honeymoon.  It was plain ridiculous. Two weeks worth of weekday papers and weekend papers (and those are huge with sales flyers and coupons), it made me look like a hoarder with them all piled on my desk. I don't know why I expect people to have common sense and I suppose since I do sit at the front desk in the lobby it is assumed that it is my domain.  It is my domain! So leave it alone and don't mess it up! But, please pick up the paper when you see it.  Thanks. Oh and throw the old ones out if I'm not here.  Is that so hard?  Yes, yes it is extremely difficult.  Will I bring this up to anyone?  No I won't because basically it doesn't matter enough.  It only matters enough for me to write a blog and be baffled at people's lack of common sense or ability to notice the world around them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment