Friday, July 12, 2013

Newlywed Life

It's been a month and a few days since Mr. G and I were married and it's been interesting so far.  By interesting, I don't mean bad, so don't get crazy and start reading all kinds of negativity into the word "interesting."  Thanks.  I just mean it's been a trial and error kind of process.  I like routines and I haven't quite found what works for us yet.  I've also learned that I'm a bit of a control freak and used to doing things my own way.  There's a tiny problem with being that way and living with another person, especially a man. 
Men don't do things the way women think they should be done.  At least that's what I've experienced.  And it is vice versa with men (Mr. G) thinks I should do things a certain way and don't. 
I'm very slowly learning to change the way I normally do things and little by little learning to go with the flow.  It could take a decade or two, but maybe one of these days I'll be super easy going and understand the way my husband's brain works completely and he will understand mine.  Yeah. I know. I said MAYBE.

Although there are adjustments and things that I didn't expect about being married, I guess the best advice I could give for anyone about to get married or going down that path is to not expect anything. Pick your battles and don't worry about every little thing(because I do this, so I'm telling you not to because it's not worth the brain power). It's not like some fairy tale whirlwind, but I can say that it is awesome being married. It's nice to have a partner there to bounce ideas off of, discuss deep topics during family Bible study, laugh with, cuddle on the couch and watch movies with. 
It's nice to be a wife and take care of a home.  I NEVER thought that I would actually enjoy cleaning and ironing and cooking dinner.  I've discovered that I really like keeping my place very clean and having someone there that notices and appreciates it.  I used to let my bedroom get super messy and let it get really dusty before I couldn't take it anymore.  Now it drives me crazy and I can't wait to get everything put away and make everything sparkle and shine.  My car on the other hand is another story and looks like it got dirt dumped on it.
Marriage has made me appreciate my mother and working mothers more than I ever had the ability to before. I work far away from home and sometimes by the time I get home and if I cook dinner we won't eat until almost 8pm sometimes.  It really is the pits but that is life for now.  I admire mothers, especially single ones who have to work full time and then come home and take care of their children.  They must somehow put aside their exhaustion because I don't have kids and I can't even imagine how much work it is.  Just doing the usual things around our home and getting into a routine has been a feat in itself.  And when I come home and things aren't as I would like them to be, I become a major crankpot.  This is not nice for Mr. G. who has been waiting for me to get home and happy to see me, until I turn into a stressed out cranky person. He told me that isn't allowed anymore and that things would get done.  Which they do and they will. I'm learning.

So in my first month of being married it's great.  I love it all. I have a husband who balances out my crazy and I think I balance him out as well (you'd have to ask him). I love the good and not-so-good and most of all I am grateful to have Mr. G in my life and be our own new family now. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment